Sunday, October 17, 2010

Crucial Real SSD C300 and SharePoint 2010

Today, I upgraded my SONY VAIO VPCF115FM laptop with Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB SSD Drive. This is my 3rd laptop upgrade in last 1 month; in fact, one of them was an upgrade to 7200 RPM HDD to Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive (from a regular 7200 RPM hard drive). The Hybrid drive significantly improved my laptop’s performance and I did not need SSD so badly! But I must call myself a gadget-freak, I could not wait!

Anyways, I spend high bucks for SSD because I wanted to get started with SharePoint 2010 development on VS.NET 2010 in 60 seconds! Before I switched to SSD, I noticed the performance of my older (it was still fastest performing platter based drive though, so don’t get surprised if you have same or comparable laptop and my number looks impressive!) drive.

My Environment:

Windows Server 2008 R2 with Domain Controller Role, SQL Server 2008 R2, SharePoint 2010, VS.NET 2008/2010

Performance of Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 7200 RPM Drive

To see desktop wallpaper from Power On: 135 Seconds

To Browse google.com from power On: 150 seconds

Open Central Admin First time - 30-35 Seconds

VS.NET 2010 First Time- 12-15 Seconds

Microsoft Word – 5 seconds

 

Performance of Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA III 256GB Drive

To see desktop wallpaper from Power On: 70 Seconds

To Browse google.com from power On: 75 seconds

Open Central Admin First time - 30-35 Seconds

VS.NET 2010 First Time- 4-5 Seconds

Microsoft Word – 2-3 seconds

 

As you can see, SSD is performing much better than my already rocking Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive, perhaps the improvement may not be worth 550 bucks! Again, if I was comparing it with regular (non-hybrid) drive, the numbers would look very impressive, I vaguely remember it used to take about 220 seconds with regular 7200 RPM drive.

Time for final thoughts!

If you care of each and every seconds of improvement and ready to spend as much as you can, SSD is definitely a way to go. But if you are looking for a high capacity drive with maximum performance, go for Seagate Momentus XT 500GB drive, this performs really really good on Windows 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment